Spending good quality family time together is important. Many people believe that to have a great time means to spend tons of money on the day or the event. With current economic times families are finding it hard to entertain family members but I am here to tell you that there are many fun family activities that are free.
1. Hiking McDowell Mountain has many family activities to participate in. (May want to try this when it is a little cooler, but always a family favorite). Pack a lunch and eat at the top of the mountain with a perfect view. Discuss the city and landmarks with the kids.
2. African American Multicultural Museum. Thursday-Saturday 1-5pm are free. Educational and fun. Take a walk around Scottsdale. Old town Scottsdale has many wonderful stores to “window shop.”
3. Take a trip to the library. There are books, music and movies. Kids of all ages love to look through the stacks to pick out their favorites. Make it a weekly/bi-weekly family event for the whole family to enjoy. Many libraries also offer free arts and craft workshops or movie day.
4. Many of the areas parks have picnic areas and “water parks”. Often overlooking a lake and several types of water-life, families can have hours of fun sight seeing, walking, picnicking and playing in the water park.
5. If you have any sporting equipment get the family involved with recreational sports. Fishing at Kiwanis Park in Tempe is always fun with lots of people around.
There are several websites devoted to free family activities.